• Advertisement
Board index Why Chase Bank Sucks... Share your experiences with Chase Late Payments

Late Payments

This is the introductory thread...tell us why you're here

Post Thu May 07, 2009 12:47 pm

When WaMu switched to Chase they changed my payment due date. I have paperless statements (trying to save the dear earth), so was unaware of this change. I tried to log onto my account DAYS before my regular payment (as i ALWAYS do), and could not access my account. I called Chase and they put a hold on my account because fraudulent charges were made. The fraudulent charges were credited and my account was released, but by this time my payment was "late". I have NEVER made any late payments. I called customer service to see if they could credit my account, as this was a complete mess and an honest mistake. Not only did they NOT credit my account (I understand that), but they were COMPLETELY RUDE. I was redirected to a billion people and basically told you're sh_t out of luck! On top of that they said if I was unhappy to just close the account, and hung up. I hope you DIE Chase.

Advertisement

Post Thu May 07, 2009 3:50 pm

It's funny you should mention the change in payment due date and late payment, that almost happened to me too. If I hadn't noticed the change yesterday, from around the 11th of the month to the 7th, I would have missed making payment today and would no doubt have been penalized with a late fee, higher interest rate, reduced credit line, and god knows what else they might have cooked up.

As it was, because of the switch in dates, I could only make minimum payment this month instead of paying in full, as I would normally have done after my paycheck posted on the 10th.

When I called and asked why it was moved, I was told that all customers who pay in full each month were having their grace period cut from 25 days to 20. He also said that I should have received a notification with my monthly statement. Only problem is, I don't get a statement. All my correspondence with them is typically electronic, and there is nothing about this in my inbox on chase.com.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this happened without ANY notification. Does anyone out there have a notification on this issue from Chase? Perhaps hidden away in one of those T&C pamphlets one generally gets? I certainly don't remember getting one in the last 60-90 days (this supposedly went into effect on March 16th.)

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Just to let everyone know that I didn't let Chase screw me out of any more interest than was absolutely necessary.

Even though I was only able to make minimum payment in time for the new due date on Thursday, I paid the full balance today after my paycheck posted (it posted early being as the 1oth lands on Sunday).

So they got, what, two days worth of interest at ~10% on under $500 bucks. I'll probably get that and more back in the class action. :lol:

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:22 pm

I just happened to gathering information on all my balances and pulled up the Chase statement and was shocked to see a late payment charge, on checking back I find I have been charged a late fee for the last 6 months, thats not the worst, due to the late payment, my specail rate of 2.99 on transfers was jacked to 15%. I too had autopayment set up and they changed the due date from the 10th to the 5th. When I spoke to an agent, she basically told me it was all on the statement and it was my responsibility to adjust my payment and I was basically Sh*t out of luck. I'm so pissed I have canceled my payment altogether and will take the credit hit.....I have a 2nd account with same type of setup....I may just stop paying that too. You do the right thing going for paperless statements, make all your payments on time. Anyone have any advice, don't want to ruin my credit history, but right know I'll cut of my nose to spite my face.

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:56 am

Relatively minor complaint, but indicative of the Chase mentality: One day late with my payment, they charge me a $39 late fee for a $10 minimum payment and refuse to forgive it. Which is their business decision to make. Fortunately I am in a position to make a business decision as well: to never use a Chase product again. I have switched to Citi, and have found it to be much more flexible. I recommend anybody not happy with Chase to give Citi a try.
All best....

Post Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm

If you account was frozen for a certain number of days, you should have been credited for those days and that would have changed the due date by the same number of days. I would put that in a letter to them. A letter will probably be treated more seriously, as long as it goes to the right person in the right department. Let us know if that helps.

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:46 pm

mwalsh wrote:
It's funny you should mention the change in payment due date and late payment, that almost happened to me too. If I hadn't noticed the change yesterday, from around the 11th of the month to the 7th, I would have missed making payment today and would no doubt have been penalized with a late fee, higher interest rate, reduced credit line, and god knows what else they might have cooked up.

As it was, because of the switch in dates, I could only make minimum payment this month instead of paying in full, as I would normally have done after my paycheck posted on the 10th.

When I called and asked why it was moved, I was told that all customers who pay in full each month were having their grace period cut from 25 days to 20. He also said that I should have received a notification with my monthly statement. Only problem is, I don't get a statement. All my correspondence with them is typically electronic, and there is nothing about this in my inbox on chase.com.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this happened without ANY notification. Does anyone out there have a notification on this issue from Chase? Perhaps hidden away in one of those T&C pamphlets one generally gets? I certainly don't remember getting one in the last 60-90 days (this supposedly went into effect on March 16th.)

As a follow up, I received a letter from Chase a couple of days back, proclaiming "YOU NOW HAVE AN EXTRA 5 DAYS TO PAY!", which I suppose puts me right back where I started from. I don't know if this is just massive incompetence, a lack of communication within the Chase organization, or if they've had their hands slapped by *someone* and were told to put things back the way they were.

I also noted this week that, while our credit limits (thankfully) haven't been messed with, our cash advance limits certainly have. They were dropped from the full credit limit on my wife's card and 50% of the credit limit on mine to just 10% of our credit limits on each in May, which eased off slightly to 20% of our credit limits last month. Not that this bothers us at all - I can't think of a reason we would EVER use credit cards to get cash (unless, perhaps, we were on vacation and for some reason our debit cards quit working), but it's a pisser just because (like all the other indignities Chase has subjected us to this year) there really isn't any reason for it on our end. :evil:

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 pm

With many other Credit Card companies if one is a good customer they forgive late payments usually once a year. Chase used to do that. They gave some lame excuse of the bank needs to collect fees to survive, etc. They then assessed a late charge and a finance charge over 2 bill cycles.

Well...Chase will now lose both my Credit Card business and my Mortgage. For the petty $40-$50 they refused to forgive, they will now lose the $12,000+ i pay them in interest every year.

Later Chase Holes!

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:31 pm
admin User avatar
Site Admin

Postal wrote:
With many other Credit Card companies if one is a good customer they forgive late payments usually once a year. Chase used to do that. They gave some lame excuse of the bank needs to collect fees to survive, etc. They then assessed a late charge and a finance charge over 2 bill cycles.

Well...Chase will now lose both my Credit Card business and my Mortgage. For the petty $40-$50 they refused to forgive, they will now lose the $12,000+ i pay them in interest every year.

Later Chase Holes!

Beautiful! That's how you hit them where it hurts...

Return to Share your experiences with Chase